Kmart Endowed Chair and Professor of Marketing
(313) 577-1499 (Phone)
Degrees and Certifications
- Ph.D. University of Houston
- M.B.A. University of Central Oklahoma
- M.A. University of Calcutta, India
- B.A. St. Xavier's College, Calcutta, India
- Consumer Perceptions of Price Promotion
- Reference Prices
- Low Price Guarantees
- Partitioned Pricing
- Consumer Decision Making and Regret
- Consumer Irritation and Advertising Effectiveness
- Source Expertise and Advertising Effectiveness
- Marketing Management
- Marketing Research
- Consumer Behavior
- Marketing Theory
- Experimental Methods
- Journal of Business Research (1995 – 2007)
Editorial Review Board
- Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science
- Journal of Advertising
- Journal of Business Research
- Journal of Public Policy and Marketing
Ad hoc Reviewer
- Journal of Marketing
- Journal of Consumer Psychology
- Journal of Consumer Research
- Journal of Marketing Research
- Journal of Retailing
- Marketing Letters
- American Marketing Association (AMA)
- Association for Consumer Research (ACR)
- Society for Marketing Advances (SMA)
- Academy of Marketing Science (AMS)
- Kmart Endowed Chair and Professor of Marketing, Wayne State University, 2004 to Present
- Visiting Faculty, Indian Institute of Management, Calcutta, 2007
- Visiting Faculty, Louisiana State University, Summer 2005
- Ph.D. Program Advisor, LSU, 1995-1999, 2000-2004
- Professor of Marketing, Louisiana State University, 2000 - 2004
- Associate Professor of Marketing, Louisiana State University, 1994 - 2000
- Visiting Faculty, Tulane University, Summer 1998
- Visiting Faculty, Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad, Summer - Fall 1996
- Assistant Professor of Marketing, Louisiana State University, 1988 - 1994
Awards & Honors
- Excellence in Research Award, Wayne State University - School of Business, 2007, 2012
- Distinguished Faculty Award, Louisiana State University, 1999
- Piccadilly Cafeterias, Inc. Distinguished Professorship, LSU, 1999 - 2002
- Best Paper Award, Consumer Behavior Track, AMA Winter Conference 2003
- Best Student Paper Award, Consumer Behavior Track, AMA Winter Conference 2003
- Best Overall Student Paper, (Co-author), AMA Winter Conference 2003
- Best Theoretical Paper, Society for Marketing Advances, 1999
- Best-in-Track Paper, Sales Promotion, Society for Marketing Advances, 1999
- M. Wayne Delozier Best Conference Paper Award, Academy of Marketing Science Conference, 1996
- Best-in-Track Paper, Product and Price Management, Academy of Marketing Science Conference, 1996
Teaching Awards and Nominations
- Marjory B. Ourso Excellence in Teaching Professorship, LSU, 1997- 1999; 2001- 2004
- Tiger Athletic Foundation Teaching Award, LSU, 2001
- LSU Alumni Association Faculty Excellence Award, 1998
- Erich and Lea Sternberg Foundation Excellence in Teaching Award, LSU, 1994-95
- Nominated for the 1995 U.S. Professors of the Year Competition Sponsored by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching
- Nominated for the University Excellence in Teaching Award, LSU, 1995
- Nominated for the AMOCO Teaching Award, LSU, 1995
- Outstanding Teacher - Student Government Association, LSU, 1992-93
Other Awards and Honors
- JBR Michel Laroche Outstanding Associate Editor Award, 2007
- Shin, Dongwoo, Jihee Song, and Abhijit Biswas (2013), "Electronic Word-of-Mouth (eWOM) Generation in Online Communities: The Role of Regulatory Focus and Collective Dissonance," Marketing Letters, (Forthcoming).
- Biswas, Abhijit, Sandeep Bhowmick, Abhijit Guha, and Dhruv Grewal (2013), “Consumer Evaluations of Sale Prices: Role of the Subtraction Principle,” Journal of Marketing, (Forthcoming, July).
- Thota, Sweta, Jihee Song, and Abhijit Biswas (2012), "Is a Website Known by the Banner Ads it Hosts? Assessing Forward and Reciprocal Spillover Effects of Banner Ads and Host Websites," International Journal of Advertising, Volume 31, No. 4, 877-906.
- Dutta, Sujay, Abhijit Biswas, and Dhruv Grewal (2011), “Regret from Post-purchase Discovery of Lower Market Prices: Do Price Refunds Help?” Journal of Marketing, Volume 75, No. 6, 124-138.
- Yagci, Mehmet, Abhijit Biswas, and Sujay Dutta (2009), “Effects of Comparative Advertising Format on Consumer Responses: The Moderating Effects of Brand Image and Attribute Relevance,” Journal of Business Research, Volume 62, No. 8, 768-774.
- Biswas, Dipayan, Sujay Dutta, and Abhijit Biswas (2009), "Individual Effects of Product Quality Signals in the Presence versus Absence of Other Signals: Differential Effects across Brick-and-Mortar and Online Settings," Journal of Product and Brand Management, Volume 18, No. 7, 487-496.
- Biswas, Dipayan, Abhijit Biswas, and Subimal Chatterjee (2009), “Making Judgments in a Two-Sequence Cue Environment: The Effects of Differential Cue Strengths, Order Sequence, and Distraction,” Journal of Consumer Psychology, Volume 19, No. 1, 88-97.
- Sweta Thota and Abhijit Biswas (2009), “I Want to Buy the Advertised Product Only! An Examination of the Effects of Additional Product Offers on Consumer Irritation in a Cross Promotion Context,” Journal of Advertising, Volume 38, Number 1 (Spring), 123-136.
- Dutta Sujay, Abhijit Biswas and Dhruv Grewal (2007), Low Price Signal Default: An Empirical Investigation of its Consequences, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Vol. 35, No. 1 (March), 76-88.
- Bidisha Burman and Abhijit Biswas (2007), Partitioned Pricing: Can We Always Divide and Prosper? Journal of Retailing, Vol. 83, No. 4, 423-436.
- Biswas, Dipayan, Abhijit Biswas and Neel Das (2006), The Effects of Celebrity and Expert Endorsements on Consumer Risk Perceptions: The Moderating Role of Consumer Product Knowledge, Journal of Advertising, Vol. 35, No. 2 (Summer), 17-31.
- Krishnan, Balaji, Abhijit Biswas and Richard G. Netemeyer (2006), Semantic Cues in Reference Price Advertisements: The Moderating Role of Cue Concreteness, Journal of Retailing, Vol. 82, No. 2 (Summer), 95-104.
- Biswas Abhijit, Sujay Dutta and Chris Pullig (2006), Low Price Guarantees as Signals of Lowest Price: The Moderating Role of Perceived Price Dispersion, Journal of Retailing, Vol. 82, No. 3 (Fall), 245-257.
- Pullig, Chris, Richard G. Netemeyer and Abhijit Biswas (2006), Attitude Basis, Certainty, and Challenge Alignment: A Case of Negative Brand Publicity, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Vol. 34, No. 4 (Fall), 528-542.
- Das, Neel, Bidisha Burman and Abhijit Biswas (2006), Effects of Discounts on Search and Shopping Intentions: The Moderating Role of Shopping Environment, International Journal of Electronic Marketing and Retailing, Vol. 1, No. 2 (Fall), 155-168.
- Dutta, Sujay and Abhijit Biswas (2005), Effects of Low Price Guarantees on Consumer Post-Purchase Search Intention: The Moderating Roles of Value Consciousness and Penalty Level, Journal of Retailing, Vol. 81, No.4, 283-291.
- Biswas, Abhijit and Ram Krishnan (2004), The Impact of Internet on Marketing, Journal of Business Research, Special Issue on Marketing on the Web ? Behavioral, Strategy & Practices and Public Policy, Vol 57, No. 7, 681-684.
- Biswas Dipayan and Abhijit Biswas (2004), The Diagnostic Role of Signals in the Context of Perceived Risks in Online Shopping: Do Signals Matter More on the Web? Journal of Interactive Marketing, Vol 18, No. 3.
- Burman Bidisha and Abhijit Biswas (2004), Reference Prices in Retail Advertisements: Moderating Effects of Market Price Dispersion and Need for Cognition on Consumer Value Perception and Shopping Intention, Journal of Product and Brand Management, Vol. 13, No. 6, 379-389.
- Rodrigue, Christina and Abhijit Biswas (2004), Brand Alliance Dependency and Exclusivity: An Emprical Investigation, Journal of Product and Brand Management, Vol.13, No.7, 477-487.
- Alford, Bruce and Abhijit Biswas (2002), "The Effects of Discount Level, Price Consciousness and Sale Proneness on Consumers' Price Perception and Behavioral Intentions," Journal of Business Research, Vol. 55, No. 9, 775-783.
- Biswas, Abhijit, Chris Pullig, Mehmet I. Yagci and Dwane H. Dean (2002), “Consumer Evaluation of Low Price Guarantees: The Moderating Role of Reference Price and Store Image,” Journal Consumer Psychology, Vol. 12, No. 2, 107-118.
- Dean, Dwane H. Dean and Abhijit Biswas (2001), “Third-Party Organization Endorsement of Products: An Advertising Cue Affecting Consumer Pre-purchase Evaluation of Goods and Services,” Journal of Advertising, Vol. XXX, No. 4, 41-57.
- Biswas, Abhijit, Jane W. Licata, Daryl McKee, Chris Pullig, and Christopher Dauthridge (2000), “The Recycling Cycle: An Empirical Investigation of Consumer Waste Recycling and Recycling Shopping Behaviors,” Journal of Public Policy and Marketing, Vol. 19, No. 1, 93-105.
- Biswas, Abhijit, Chris Pullig, Balaji C. Krishnan and Scot Burton (1999), "Consumer Evaluation of Reference Price Advertisements: Effects of "Other" Brand's Prices and Semantic Cues," Journal of Public Policy & Marketing, Vol. 18, No. 1, 52-65.
- Licata, Jane W., Abhijit Biswas and Balaji C. Krishnan (1998), "Ambiguity and Exaggeration in Price Promotion: Perceptions of the Elder and Non Elder Consumers," Journal of Consumer Affairs, Vol. 32, No. 1, 56-81.
- Jackson, Anita, Abhijit Biswas and Ruth Lumb (1995), "A Cross National Investigation of Product Perception: Comparison of Products Made-in China, India, Hong Kong, and the U.S. by Respondents from Each Country," Journal of Asia-Pacific Business, Vol. 1, No. 2, 45-48.
- Wilson, Elizabeth and Abhijit Biswas (1995), "The Use of Black Models in Specialty Catalogs," Journal of Direct Marketing, Vol. 9, No. 4, 47-56.
- Sherrell, Daniel L. and Abhijit Biswas (1995), "Role of Price in Consumer Quality Judgments for Professional Services," Journal of Customer Service in Marketing & Management, Vol.1, No. 1, 45-56.
- Burton Scot, Donald Lichtenstein, Abhijit Biswas and Katherine Fraccastoro (1994), "The Role of Attributions in Consumer Perceptions of Retail Ads Promoting Price Discounts" Marketing Letters, Vol. 5, No. 2, 131-140.
- Biswas, Abhijit and Scot Burton (1994), "An Experimental Assessment of Effects Associated With Alternative Tensile Price Claims," Journal of Business Research, Vol. 29, No. 1, 65-73.
- Burton, Scot, Abhijit Biswas and Richard G. Netemeyer (1994), "Effects of Alternative Nutrition Label Formats and Nutrition Reference Information on Consumer Perceptions, Comprehension, and Product Evaluations," Journal of Public Policy and Marketing, Vol. 13, No. 1, 36-47.
- Olsen, Janeen E., Kent L. Granzin and Abhijit Biswas (1993), "Influencing Consumers' Selection of Domestic Vs. Imported Products: Implications for Marketing Based on a Model of Helping Behavior," Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Vol. 21, No. 4, 307-322.
- Licata, Jane W. and Abhijit Biswas (1993), "Representation, Roles, and Occupational Status of Black Models in Television Advertisements," Journalism Quarterly, Vol. 70, No. 4, 868-882.
- McKee, Daryl and Abhijit Biswas (1993), "Community Resources and Economic Development Marketing Strategy: An Empirical Investigation," Journal of Macromarketing, Vol. 13, No. 1, 33-47.
- Burns, Alvin C., Abhijit Biswas and Laurie A. Babin (1993), "The Operation of Visual Imagery as a Mediator of Advertising Effects," Journal of Advertising, Vol. 22, No. 2, 71-85.
- Burton, Scot and Abhijit Biswas (1993), "A Preliminary Assessment of the Effects of Changes in Nutrition Labels Required by the Nutrition Labeling and Education Act of 1990," Journal of Consumer Affairs, Vol. 27, No. 1, 127-144.
- Biswas, Abhijit and Scot Burton (1993), "Consumer Perceptions of Tensile Price Claims in Advertisements: An Assessment of Claim Types Across Different Discount Levels," Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Vol. 21, No. 3, 217-229.
- Biswas, Abhijit, Elizabeth J. Wilson and Jane W. Licata (1993), "Reference Pricing Studies in Marketing: A Synthesis of Research Results," Journal of Business Research, Vol. 27, No. 3, 239-256.
- Fraccastoro, Katherine, Scot Burton and Abhijit Biswas (1993), "Effective Use of Advertisements Promoting Sale Prices," Journal of Consumer Marketing, Vol. 10, No. 1, 60-69.
- Biswas, Abhijit and Daniel L. Sherrell (1993), "The Influence of Product Knowledge and Brand Name on Internal Price Standards and Confidence," Psychology and Marketing, Vol. 10, No. 1, 31-46.
- Olsen, Janeen E., Abhijit Biswas and Madhav Kacker (1992), "The Changing European Market: Strategies for Companies From Developing Nations," Journal of Euromarketing, Vol. 2, No. 1, 99-115.
- Biswas, Abhijit, Janeen E. Olsen and Valerie Carlet (1992), "A Comparison of Print Advertisements from the United States and France," Journal of Advertising, Vol. 21, No. 4, 73-81.
- Biswas, Abhijit (1992), "The Moderating Role of Brand Familiarity in Reference Price Perceptions," Journal of Business Research, Vol. 25, No. 3, 251-262.
- Biswas, Abhijit and Edward A. Blair (1991), "Contextual Effects of Reference Prices in Retail Advertisements," Journal of Marketing, Vol. 55, No. 3, 1-12.
- Zinkhan, George M., William J. Qualls and Abhijit Biswas (1990), "The Use of Blacks in Magazines and Television Advertising: 1946 to 1986," Journalism Quarterly, Vol. 67, No. 3, 547-553.